Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Importance of Social media



I recently started dwelling on how important social media has really become lately.
In the last 5 to 7 years, we got all these new companies: social networks, they are distilling their own versions, their own recipies for how ideas are shared and attention is held. And it's a gradual transition on each of these versions, and because it's gradual, although constant, it can catch you off-guard, like it caught me off-guard.

I've been in the industry since 2005. I've had 10 different technology jobs. But I somehow got blindsighted, and probably my focus was not on it, but I did not stay on top of all the social media. People also have a tendency to maybe stereotype social networks, just like any other medium: just skepticism, like "somebody posting pictures
of their cat. That's all it is". But no: it's a very serious thing. Social media is pretty much the basis of all communication going froward, and that's not going to change.

Essentially there`s been a platform shift. So we got all these people on TV now, because
the phone is the TV. And because of that, that's effectively 100,000 times more
people on TV than before. So the attention of people is the most prized
resource that there is. And because of that, we are seeing things
like Snapchat cutting length down to 10. Twitter cutting length down to 140. And things getting deleted automatically. It's because we are being saturated with noise. So this is gonna be a fun ride. I'm very curious to see where we go next.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mobile Startup: Episode 5: Some thoughts about tech, and work.

Knowing that You're Bad! I think that if you have never thought of yourself as a bad engineer before, then you are probably a Bad e...